Tuesday, July 20, 2010

A PROMISE-so be it.

This is personal. If it was up to me, I wouldn't share this in my blog. But when the Lord compels us, do we really have a choice? The answer to this is yes of course, but why would I want to deny something the LORD of the UNIVERSE is compelling me to do?
First, an explanation. If you know me at all you know I love men. I love man friends. I love brothers. I love old men. I love young men. I love sons. I just love 'em all -- not in a creepy way but in an admiring way. I love their brave, wild hearts. I love their natural craving for adventure.

But for years now, there has been a terrible habitual pattern taking place in my heart: every time a new man walked in my life, I walked out of God's arms. It was like clockwork. New guy, no Jesus. New crush, no Bible. New close man friend-i-thought-could-be-husband-potential, no more quiet time with the true LOVER of my soul. And it ALL LED TO HEARTACHE. I wish I didn't have to be this honest, but there is no holding back confessing this kind of truth.

So after another round of this heartache this summer, I knew God was going to soon convict me of something big, really challenging, but worth it all. After seeing Christ-followers in Colorado who were willing to give their lives for God overseas, something in my heart changed. I suddenly knew that if God asked me to be a martyr for him, I would. But here's the strange catch, I became willing to give my life to him til death, but I was STILL holding on to the fact that I wanted to get married and have all my sons. That doesn't make any sense really, but just understand that is where my heart was at.

After worship Friday morning, the Spirit kept saying to me "I am here. I can't leave you. You are not alone." Just all these different phrases about how I was not alone. (Note: all this freaked me out because I knew God was going to soon ask me to do something which involve me feeling alone or solitary.) So on the drive home sunday, I was thanking God for the amazing trip and all that jazz, and asking him how can I stay close with him this coming school year with all the distractions of schoolwork, and of course, men. I kept asking him for a solution for me to be able to love Him and a man. I was asking him this over and over again, but I kept shutting down God's voice anytime he would try to speak, because he was going to say something I didn't want to hear.

(Yesterday) Monday morning came, and I felt at the bottom of a pit of despair. It was this incredible heavy ache within me and clogged my thoughts and my will. THIS led to me finally truly turning to God in surrender and asking his WILL be done completely in my life. Then, at last, I let him speak.

He asked me to have a year long fast of men. Sacrificing emotional attachments, dating, crushes, creating future marriage plans in my head, EVERYTHING for a year. This meant if someone were to ask me if I wanted to get married and have children me replying, no. And then he told me, in turn for me giving him those things, HE would expand my world. Then, he asked me if I was in. The God of All was holding out his hand like Aladdin and saying "do you trust me?" (And yes, I totally referenced God to a middle-eastern cartoon character just then) I hesitated. And I told him I would think about it, because I didn't want to commit to something I wouldn't follow through with, and He said "fair enough."

So yesterday throughout the day, God kept reminding me of things He had shown me in the past that were coming together to make sense now. I had been reading a book where the guy took a year off to KNOW the Lord. Really to know him, in the biblical way, inside out. And also God had told me once that my relationship with my future spouse was like a pearl. That it was going to be tossed around and scraped and shook and formed into something else entirely before it was ready to be removed from its place into a beautiful pearl. So on my way home, I knew I was going to commit to this deal, but I didn't know how it was possible because this would mean (in my eyes) that I would be lonely for an entire year. But then, Baylee came over and gave me something perfect for my birthday. It was a promise from the Lord that He and I could do this thing together and it was going to be amazing. Baylee had been praying for me (while we were in different states mind you) and got a word for me from the Lord saying, "I Promise I will never leave." Then she created this piece of art with pearls and keys and pages of an antique book that says this word. I am looking at it now hanging from my window just amazed at its effect on me. Every time I have come into my room looked at that, I have been filled with peace. Here's why: God is all about PROMISEs. If you do not know this, read the Bible. God likes people who make promises and keeps them. God makes promises and keeps them. He fulfills any PROMISE to his people that he has previously establishes. and the God of the universe is saying, I want you to take off a year of men, because I want you to be fully devoted to me and I PROMISE I will never leave. I PROMISE I will not look at you a few months from now struggling with this fasting and then just walk away. "I PROMISE I will never leave."

So, why I am sharing all this to my internet journal which is often publicized by my sister and my facebook profile? Because I need accountability. If you read this, know that I HUMBLY admit I need prayer for this endeavor, not only to give up on men but to use this time to solely get to know the Lord again. And who knows what will come of all this. Maybe after a year God will say okay another year. Or maybe after a year, God will ask for seven more years. Or maybe God will tell me I am ready to meet whoever he has for me. I do not know, and I know he will not tell me til the time is right. But in this conviction is another truth, God has said this will be the last man. In my past, I thought that I would date loads of people before I was married; but I no longer feel this way. I believe God is saying, if it his will I ever marry, that it will be the next man after the fast is over, however long that may be. Perhaps, that is why I was so worried about being waited for in my previous entry. Everything is piecing together; that is another sign this is all from the Lord.

And if you are reading this and you like someone or are dating someone KNOW that there is no condemnation in Christ Jesus. And that I don't believe this is the right way to live, I think God knows I need a strict diet of him without men emotionally involved, in order to change me. BUT KNOW THAT NOT EVERYONE IS THIS WAY.

So today is the end of the first day of the year of our Lord -- just 364 more to go -- KIDDING, I am not counting down. I was telling God that I wish I could go to an all girls school for the next year. He told me that that would give me no opportunity to learn from being tempted. For an example, it is much more of a beautiful thing for an alcoholic to give up on drinking not because he is stuck on an island with no alcohol, but because he is a bartender and he wants to kick the addiction square in the jaw with his abstinence. In other words, if I was not tempted then that would not make this year much of testimony at all.

Anyways. Now that I have written all this down, I would like feedback, in my vulnerability I ask for your vulnerability. If you read this, please leave an anonymous comment below on your opinion/prayer of this matter.
God PROMISES to never leave us. So be it.





6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Lord, remind Olivia she is lovely and special, beautiful and unique. That her gifts cannot be replaced by another (music, writing, encourager, knows to have fun, can go against the crowd, strong, free, barefoot). [journal entry on 7/18].

God is good, He does not disappoint, He is the ultimate gift-giver and lover.

{b.rees creative} said...

As someone else who God has called to be "the exception" when it comes to this heart matter, I promise that your heart will not be unfulfilled. I have waited through the deepest pain and LONGING I have ever experienced to see his word come to pass in my life, and it still has not- on the surface. I have only faith in what he spoke to me and the truth that he is good.

The thing is, now I am so ardently lovesick for him that I'm not sure I can love a man anymore. He's brought me to a place where I would be more than satisfied FOREVER to have adventures and be married to him alone. It's the strangest thing, but no one but he can love me exactly right. He teaches me about himself every day, and I think I'll explode sometimes because I am so utterly, perfectly loved.

He's writing your story Live, and mine, and when he has full control of creativity and we surrender our will for his I think it makes him giddy. He gets to paint the whole canvas, front and back and edges, instead of just adding highlights to the dark parts. His imagination is amazing, and I can't wait to watch your life unfold, first inside your heart as you taste how intimately loved you are with no distractions to take your gaze away from his eyes, and then he'll lavish you with a gift that will take your breath away but still won't even compare to the fire of the heart of the one who has always pursued you. Then you'll talk about Jesus with that shy inward smile and we'll call you lovesick. Beautiful Live, no wonder he wants all of you.

I told Baylee that I think your story and mine come from a similar genre as stories go. God wants every detail and all the trust we have. I think she and Boo's stories are similar too. They're all good, and they're all God.

Someday this story will encourage girls to know their one and only true love and realize his dreams for them and how amazingly strong his love is.

Sorry for the book. You're lovely and I'm standing by you a million percent. Anything you need, just ask. There is HOPE.

God never asks you to give something up unless He has something much greater for you in store than what you could choose.

(sorry i'm not anonymous, you know the prologue of my story anyway)

Anonymous said...

Olivia I will be praying for this coming hear as you set aside sometime to get to know your first love and your perfect bridegroom. I marvel at how Jesus had been getting your attention! I too know the aches of when my thoughts, actions and love are disassociated from their perfect end. I have been on the road that you are now setting out upon for about two years. My "fast" was never as formal as yours and I have not set an end to it. There are any number of reasons that God never made mine more formal which I am willing to disclose but for the sake of time and writing, they will have to wait.

I fully understand that God lead me down this path to challenge my motives and my devotion to Him. I started my "fast" initally due tot he fact that I put far to many expectations on the women that I would meet. It would not take long and I would be asking God "Is this the one?" I honestly grew frustrated with my selfishness. After a year and a half the Lord taught me of my problem. I had been refusing to die to myself like Jesus did. My expectations were selfish and what my question should have been: "This woman is my sister in the faith, how do I serve her? How do I model Christ's selfless love?"

Shameful to admit that it took me a year and half to learn a truth like that but God kept working with me, which I grateful for. He will do the same for you! I know the fashion in which God works changes with every person so I am fearfully excited for your coming year! Only God knows the fashion in which you will be transformed.

I close with a prayer for your fast:

Holy Father, you have promised us that you will protect your children and that we are firmly placed in your palm of you hand and NOTHING will remove us from that safety (Romans 8:37-39). Remind Olivia of that promise in the good moments as well as the hard. May she be assured of your mighty love and faithfulness. You have also promised us that as a perfect Father you will grant us good gifts (Matthew 7:7-12). The most prefect thing we could ever receive is knowledge of you! Grant Olivia this gift from the deeps of your mystery. May the insight she receives into who you are be captivating to her heart and restore her soul. Lord you are the treasure that Olivia seeks (Matthew 13:44). You are worthy of her sacrifice. Remind her that she is the pearl and you are merchant in Matthew 13:45. You have given much and you have received a precious daughter in Olivia!


Amen

Have a fun year!

Corey

Anonymous said...

Olivia I will be praying for this coming hear as you set aside sometime to get to know your first love and your perfect bridegroom. I marvel at how Jesus had been getting your attention! I too know the aches of when my thoughts, actions and love are disassociated from their perfect end. I have been on the road that you are now setting out upon for about two years. My "fast" was never as formal as yours and I have not set an end to it. There are any number of reasons that God never made mine more formal which I am willing to disclose but for the sake of time and writing, they will have to wait.

I fully understand that God lead me down this path to challenge my motives and my devotion to Him. I started my "fast" initally due tot he fact that I put far to many expectations on the women that I would meet. It would not take long and I would be asking God "Is this the one?" I honestly grew frustrated with my selfishness. After a year and a half the Lord taught me of my problem. I had been refusing to die to myself like Jesus did. My expectations were selfish and what my question should have been: "This woman is my sister in the faith, how do I serve her? How do I model Christ's selfless love?"

Shameful to admit that it took me a year and half to learn a truth like that but God kept working with me, which I grateful for. He will do the same for you! I know the fashion in which God works changes with every person so I am fearfully excited for your coming year! Only God knows the fashion in which you will be transformed.

I close with a prayer for your fast:

Holy Father, you have promised us that you will protect your children and that we are firmly placed in your palm of you hand and NOTHING will remove us from that safety (Romans 8:37-39). Remind Olivia of that promise in the good moments as well as the hard. May she be assured of your mighty love and faithfulness. You have also promised us that as a perfect Father you will grant us good gifts (Matthew 7:7-12). The most prefect thing we could ever receive is knowledge of you! Grant Olivia this gift from the deeps of your mystery. May the insight she receives into who you are be captivating to her heart and restore her soul. Lord you are the treasure that Olivia seeks (Matthew 13:44). You are worthy of her sacrifice. Remind her that she is the pearl and you are merchant in Matthew 13:45. You have given much and you have received a precious daughter in Olivia!


Amen

Have a fun year!

Anonymous said...

Also sorry for posting more than once. :( You can trim it back to one post if you want.

michacarnley said...

Hi Olivia,

I'm really excited for you in this new season you are walking in with Jesus. Know that it is well worth it and that you have just made one of the best decisions of your life!
I too am in a commitment to the Lord of not dating. But He asked me for 5 years and I'm 3 and 1/2 years into it. I can honestly say it's been so worth it. There have been hard days and weeks..haha..but I've not regretted it once.
I'm really excited to see what the Lord does in and through you in this year where you've married Him!!